Friday, February 20, 2009

Bookworm Bonanza

Hi all! I bet you've been wondering what I've been doing for the past few weeks. I'm slowly but surely working myself out of the crochet slump I found myself in after Christmas.

I've discovered plarn (plastic bag yarn) and have started a tote bag of sorts. Plarn is quite difficult to crochet with, but I feel I'm doing my part to be green, recycle etc.

I've been making bookworms for about 10 years now. I found the pattern in the September/October 1998 issue of Crafting Traditions (which is sadly no longer published). Nancy Keating is the pattern designer. I do a few things differently. I use a size F hook instead of size G. I also prefer 7 mm wiggle eyes to 5 mm. I try to keep a stock of bookworms on hand. They make great gifts for holidays and other occasions. I recently noticed, however, that my bookworm stash was pitifully depleted. I am now working my way through my yarn totes, making 6 bookworms out of each variegated yarn I have. Then I'll do the solids.

I still have plans to start the hippo for my friend. I'm also still making squares and sewing them together for my sister's Christmas afghan.

All in all, I think I'm doing a good job of being productive.

No comments: