Monday, October 4, 2010

Another productive week

My apologies that this weekly update is late. I had limited access to the Internet over the weekend, but I did get a lot of crocheting done. Not to confuse my faithful readers, this update is for the week beginning September 25 and ending October 1.

I had several birthdays this past week and decided that turkey butt fridgies would make great gifts. (This pattern was available online for free, but has since disappeared.) I made 1 for my cousin Jonah who turned 12. In his card, I encouraged him to shake his tail feathers more. I made another for a little boy at church who turned five. I also included a few bookworms to round out the gift. The last turkey I made was for my cousin Autumn who turned 10. I liked hers best because I used unusual colors: Soft Navy for the backside, Spa Blue for the feet, and Shaded Purples (pretty sure this color has been discontinued) for the feathers.

The pastor's wife also had a birthday in the past week. She likes snowmen so I made her two snowman ornaments for her tree. I also made the lion ornament (using a finger puppet pattern) for my niece. The mane utterly defeated me. Apparently, I'm not meant to do loop stitch. But I made up my own pattern and it turned out quite nice.

Autumn is one of the kids on my list that I draw a blank on. I mean, what do you make a kid who LOVES to read for Christmas? Even she didn't know. She did ask for more bookworms, but I want to make her something else as well. I finally had an inspiration. She's reading The Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky. I've decided to make her an owl. I found a cute pattern from Coats and Clark (Cutest Little Owl). I used Sandy Print for the head and body, Shaded Browns for the wings, Cornmeal for the beak, and Black/Coffee for the eyes. It's still in pieces, but I think it will turn out just fine.

I also made some granny squares this week. 8 Honeydew for my sister's Christmas afghan and 9 Gemstone for my cousin's Christmas afghan. She likes pinks and purples. I'm using Gemstone, Magenta, Real Teal, and Soft Navy so far. It's going to be a smaller afghan, 7 x 12 squares.

My plans for this week are ambitious and already started. I've made 2 skinny scarves for the 2 five-year-old girls on my list. I wanted to make hats too, but they're hard to make when you don't have ready access to the kid for measurements. My other plans for this week include squares for the 2 afghans, a fish, a purse, a dog, some more turkey fridgies, and some bells.

Most of the stuff I've made hasn't been finished yet. I foresee a two or three day stretch when all I do is finish these and get them ready to wrap.

With any luck this week's post (October 2 - October 8) will be posted as usual on Friday. Until then, happy crocheting!

No comments: