Friday, September 16, 2011

Up to My Eyes In...Squares!

I'm still working away on the baby afghan that was Sherbet Baby. The new color scheme (Pale Plum, Perfect Pink, & Cafe) deserves a new name. Here's what I came up with: Sweet Chocolate. The Pale Plum squares are done. I'm working on the Perfect Pink ones.

In other news, the price of Red Heart Super Saver has dropped at Wal-mart. It was up to $2.58 this summer, but now it's quite reasonable at $2.33. I had to stop myself from buying several skeins. I have enough yarn right now.

A few weeks ago, I took inventory of my yarn. I put my yarn (not including yarn balls) into one of four categories: Full Skeins-Solid Colors, Full Skeins-Variegated, Partial Skeins-Solid Colors, and Partial Skeins-Variegated. I typed the list up this week and I think it's really going to help me use the yarn I have.

The plan for my sister's Christmas afghan has changed again. This year (#5) is for my brother-in-law. I want to do something different. I'm going to border the whole afghan using his favorite color (teal) and then the middle squares will be a nine patch block layout. I was going to use solids and variegated, but have since decided that this is best suited to solids. And it's not going to be done for Christmas because I haven't started it yet!

One of my friends has learned to crochet, but she's having trouble with granny squares. I sent her a care package with written instructions and an example. Talking with her about granny squares reminded me of when I first learned how to make them. One of the cook's at my elementary school tried to show me, but she crocheted so fast that I couldn't learn. Later I found a tutorial (with instructions and pictures) in an old magazine. I've been making granny squares ever since.

I'll be making out two Christmas lists this year: Christmas to Make and Christmas to Buy. I think the to buy list will be longer than the to make list.

Until next time, happy crocheting!

No comments: